Tuesday, March 22, 2016

PCT 2016 starts in 4 days -- wow!



So I'm mostly ready to start my PCT through-hike in 4 days  (March 26th).
I say mostly ready because I don't know that anybody is ever actually "ready" for this type of thing unless they've done it before. 

My starting pack weight will be approx 45 lbs which includes about 10lbs of water, and 10lbs of food. 

The plan:
Day #1 -- hike 19 miles to Lake Morena which is my first day goal .. if all goes well I'll be there Sat. night. .. after that I'll gauge distance, etc. and communicate further plans.

Water:
I'm starting with ~6 liters of water, that includes a 1.5 liter camelback bladder and 5 1L smart water bottles.   This should get me 19 miles to Lake Morena with a few liters to spare.

Food:
If all goes according to plan my "goto" meal on the trail will be tortillas, peanut butter, nutella, and bananas - quick and easy to prepare.  I'm also bringing 5 days worth of oatmeal, some various candy and gu packets, and two days worth of MRE rashions as well as tiny plastic bottle of cholula hot-sauce.

Gear:
I'll revise this later, certain pieces are still in flux. I'm bringing a 65L backpack.

Camping:
Until I know my distance over various terrain.  Likely camping spots include: Lake Morena, Julian, Agua Caliente, and eventually Idlywild which I intend to make within 10-14 days (around 200 miles).

If you're in San Diego and you're interested in meeting up/camping whatever drop me a line on facebook http://www.facebook.com/brian.horakh


No comments:

Post a Comment